Friday, May 3, 2013

More Hurdles


Today I walked through The Bronx to another dealer to get a little bit more specific on his selling terms. To my surprise he stated that he absolutely is able to sell me a bike, even though I'm a foreigner. Now I'm getting confused. Later on he muttered something about not being able to order directly from Harley, so it seems he is a different kind of dealer, no a direct franchisee. It's a huge dealership, though. But he says he cannot put the chosen handlebars on my bike, which was no problem for the other dealer. What am I supposed to think of this? But he can't get my bike with ABS anyway... Luckily, they have hugely more expensive bikes they can sell me instead. Who woulda thought!?

And of course my reservations about the whole DMV business where firmly echoed by them. Even for residents it's a pain in the ass (verbatim), and maybe even more, since residents can tell themselves “I fulfill all the criteria, and still...?” Then they added some more information about preliminary registrations and that even though you don't need proof of residency in NY, you still need proof of address, you cannot just name a place where they should send the title of ownership. But maybe for this a phone bill might be enough. So I will speed up my plans of getting a cell phone. Unless, of course, there will be more nasty surprises down that way, too.

I'm starting getting doubts...When I had called New York dealers while I was in Boston, I had been told that the registration business would take about 24 hours, even for foreigners. God, how naive had I been to think “Three or four days in New York and I'm riding. Actually too little time to see the city.” Well, it seems I'll have plenty of time for that. I'm anxious to get on the road...

After this nice day full of events, I transferred from the hotel I was staying the last few days to – drums, please... - the YMCA! And suddenly I kind of felt transported back to my early London days. Bloody nose-pickings on the wall, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment