Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Even More Hurdles


I found out during a trip to the local NY DMV that even the powers of attorney that Julius granted me are not enough. He needs to be here in person. Doesn't seem like a viable road. So let's see what other way there could be. One of my dealers suggested to me to check the requirements for a NY driver's license or non-driver ID. But as I found out, these more or less need the same six points that registration needs. Plus the driving test, lessons etc. for the driver's license. But the non-driver ID grabbed up along the way might be useful as a sum up of information, maybe I need the document later for something else. You never know. Might make getting insurance easier.

Now even though NY has no residency requirement for registering a vehicle, it needs proof of identity, which amounts to the need for very similar documents, which means again I need six points of proof. Additionally, I also need a letter of ineligibility from the local Social Security Administration. I went to a bank to open an account (which would score me another point on my six point journey), but they, you guessed it, also need stuff for my identification. Like the magic utility bill, which seems to be the key to everything around here. But I wanted the account to establish my identity in the first place. It almost comes down to the point where A is needed for B, but at the same time B is needed for A. But not quite, after all everything can be traced further down to the all mighty utility bill (yes, that is just a damn bill for paying your electricity, gas or phone). I wonder, though, if you have to provide your ID in order to start a contract with your local utility...

Anyway, I found another bank that doesn't require this. Take that bank account, my passport with visa and I-94 attached, a check cashing card I will obtain from some shady loan shark organization, and a utility bill from a friend, on which she will hopefully agree to have my name added, and the bike inches closer. Keep your fingers crossed!


Chat among three colleagues on Times Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment