Friday, July 26, 2013

Yeah, Texas!!! Pow! Pow! Pow! Yeehaw!!


I'm in Dallas, Texas, at the end of frickin' July, and within one minute I got soaked so bad that even my underwear was saturated. Well, whatever...

Alright folks, welcome to Texas! Yeehaw!!! I looked up the nuttiest NRA and second amendment sporting gun range I could find and rode out there. I think I found a good one ;)


I went to the range, signed my name, got some instruction, and promptly was let loose with a Beretta 96 and fifty rounds of 9mm ammunition. Americans...

Here it gets frightening!
At first during instruction in the sales room I was nervous and a little bit afraid just to hold that gun. You can somehow feel it's a dangerous object. Then for the first three shots I was just a bit nervous, not quite knowing what recoil to expect. It quickly became routine: point, shoot, repeat, reload the clip, point, shoot...Then I changed the target paper, putting on one with the outlines of a man. This is
All over the place :)
where it gets really macabre. At first it was again just mechanical target practice, which I found quite disturbing when I realized that. But then I imagined a person there, and that was kind of frightening, giving a sense of the permanency of the action. I changed back to circles after a few shots. But I think the most discomforting aspect of it all is how quickly the whole thing became normal and ordinary. Just shootin'. And obviously how as a matter of course people walk in and out with their guns and the store casually stocks assault weapons (I held one). I even saw an internet platform the day before where people just privately buy and sell their used guns. Like it's a used book.

And don't forget...

No comments:

Post a Comment