Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Riding the Dragon!


Enter the Dragon!
Beautiful, beautiful. Just beautiful! 318 turns on 11 miles, the Tail Of The Dragon (US 129) in the Great Smoky Mountains is motorcycle heaven. I rode it, turned around, went all the way back, then turned around and did it a third time, just for the sheer joy of it! I felt like a kid on a roller coaster, it was like snowboarding on the road. I thought to myself, just for this it was worth all the effort. And it was nice to see how my riding got ever more fluent, and I admit, faster. With every ride it got smoother. And now I know that when I go really low in a curve, the first thing that scratches the road is my heel, not the foot peg. I think that's good. It means there still is some reserve left when the scratching starts.

A colleague.
Tennessee dealership, complete
with dragon, concert stage and
smoker, caller "stinker."
Need a car? Grab one!
Earlier that day, I had some insurance communication going on, then sent my broken laptop to Asus for their Accidental Damage Program. I hope it is covered, since I get the feeling that both my and the other party's insurance will bail out of this. Then I went to a Harley store to get some parts installed. It was already 6pm when I actually got to the Dragon, then spent more than planned but amazing time there, so it was already dark when I continued through the Smokies to find a motel. That night ride in the mountains was really cool, beautiful, it had a feel of its own. But let
me tell you, riding a bike at night near a body of water gets you ridiculous amounts of bugs on your helmet's screen. It's like rain at times. And when you have a massive firefly smashing on the screen, it gets a little weird... At an unmanned gas station in the middle of nowhere I filled up (we need that direct-at-the-pump self-service credit card payment system in Germany!). Then I just sat there for quite a while, and listened to the night.

Later at around 10pm I found a motel still in the Smokies. The first situation I encountered was a beardy old prototype southerner chatting with the 80-year old lady at the reception / living-room-with-a-window. “No, I won't smoke in the room.” - “No joints either!” - “Oh, I would smoke a joint if I had a good one! Love you, honey.” Then I approached a table where two old fellers where sitting. Their self-described riding style: semi-aggressive, but not foolishly. I loved that! We exchanged stories and cracked jokes, chatted about our rides on the Dragon, and of course had done the same U-turn to get that picture with the road sign, they on the Skyway, I on the Dragon. They had done an Alpine tour of Germany, Austria and Switzerland a couple years ago, their life's dream. I told them I'm from there and now am following my dream here. And I got some more tips on great roads to ride. I had a blast of a time! They're really cool guys.

Tomorrow I'll do the Cherohala Skyway (US 143), aka "The 100 Million Dollar Road."

So you don't forget where you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment